Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Stereotypes of Feminists and Feminism

By: Lydia Boinest
In class we had a discussion about what we think feminism is and what stereotypes have led us to believe about feminists.  I found this to be a very interesting concept because I had never thought about it enough in depth to question what being a feminist means.  Previously I would have said that I do not identify as a feminist, however new ways of approaching the subject has caused me to reconsider my mindset.

Here is a list of  ten of the most common stereotypes for a feminist:[1]
10. Feminists hate men
9. Feminists hate the idea of family
8. Feminists are masculine and unattractive
7. Feminists hate God
6. Feminists don't shave
5. Feminists are all pro-choice
4. Feminists can't be stay at home moms
3. Feminist whine about everything
2. Men are not feminists
1. All people who label themselves as feminist believe in the exact same things.


Each of these stereotypes contradicts what I found to be the definition of feminism on Webster Dictionary’s web page. The definition that they gave was that feminism is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities.[2]  Out of sheer curiosity in the subject I asked a few family members what we were asked in class, “would you identify yourself as a feminist?” All immediately responded saying that they are not feminist.  The next question I proceeded to ask was “do you believe in equal rights for both men and women?” Each person then responded yes.  After the fact that they all unknowingly admitted to actually being a feminist I showed them the Webster’s dictionary definition.  My Dad in particular argued that just because you believe that men and women should have equal rights you are not necessarily a feminist.  He also said that he thinks the definition has transformed since the feminist movement in the 1960s.  He thought that a feminist was someone who had to be active towards the cause in order to be considered a feminist themselves.  That led me to consider, does the Webster’s dictionary accurately conclude what a feminist is?  Can feminism be a perfectly defined?  I think not.  According to my father and other adults that were young adults in the 60s that I questioned; a feminist is a someone who was actively supporting and practicing attaining equal rights for both men and women.  What does it come down to when we as a society define feminism?  And will there ever be a consensus?






[1] InHisName, . ZIMBIO, "Top 10 Feminist Stereotypes." Last modified may 24, 2009. Accessed January 23, 2014. http://www.zimbio.com/feminism/articles/212/Top 10 Feminist Stereotypes.
[2] Merriam-Webster, "feminism." Accessed January 23, 2014. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminism.


Lydia Boinest



No comments:

Post a Comment